Saturday 25 April 2009

The Grand Finale !



Last night we had our end of week dinner and presentation of prizes. It was held in the St. Andrews Links Clubhouse. Here's the clubhouse and the piper !

We had a visit from Old Tom Morris ! and some points on how the game was played in the 1800's.


You don't see too many French men in kilts ! - but Dominique had a go and definitely looked the part ! It wouldn't be a Scottish celebration without the Haggis and it was expertly piper in by the piper and paraded by the chef.

We had a Champagne reception, followed by an excellent meal. Haggis, neeps and tatties (naturally) , to start and main course of roast beef. Then down to business and presentation of the prizes for the week.

I was very happy that my Longest Drive on the 18th on the Old Course yesterday stood up and I won the prize for that. It wasn't actually the best drive I've ever hit, but it was quite windy and tough enough to drive into. Here's the Longest Drive presentation. That's Ken (on the left) and Ian, the 2 pro's who looked after us for the week in the photos.

My 2 over, Net 78 on the Old Course was good enough for 3rd place, so I had another prize for that.

I was also thrilled that our team, GB & I were second in the 4 Ball Better Ball competition. Here's the team, Steve on the left, then Roger, then Neil.

So a good haul of prizes ! as well as an excellent week's golf. Our GB & I team mate (bandit !) Neil won the Men's competition with a magic 66 !


A wonderful week's golf in the most magic golf location in the world. I've had a magnificent time. The organisation of the week was abolutely brilliant and the folks from Links Golf could not do enough for us. There was always someone waiting to take you where ever you wanted to go at any time of the day ! and great advice on golf and the courses, the town, the bars ! etc. etc.

I even got some expert advice from the concierge at the hotel on how to get out of a bunker. Here he is showing me the secret. You imagine the ball sitting on a dollar note (we used a real dollar note !) and you take out the whole dollar note - not just the ball. So that's one more thing to pack in my golf bag - a few dollar notes for the bunkers.

All the best for now and Thank You for reading my blog. Next golfing action is Martina and me at the Armagh and Down tournament in Ireland. We play Donaghadee on Wednesday 29th, Adrglass on Thursday 30th and Royal County Down on Friday 1st May. Then a nice relaxed game at Royal Portrush on Saturday, taking in Bushmills and the Giants Causeway.

Best Regards,

Kate.

No comments:

Post a Comment