Thursday 23 April 2009

The New Course


We played the New Course today. Here's our 4 ball. Back to the United Nations today ! John and Erica from Tokyo on the left (I'm sure they're called something different in Tokyo !) and Jim from Melbourne Australia on the right.

We were very lucky with the weather again. Rain had been forecast and it did rain overnight, but we got through the whole round without a drop. It was individual competition today. I have to say I missed the comraderie and the craic of the team games - really enjoyed those.

The New Course is lovely. I think the best we've played yet. It felt really Scottish and links like today. Lot of interesting bunkers. I got caught a few times - mostly got out OK, but they definitely cost you at least a shot. I didn't feel the wind as strong as yesterday, but it was tough enough in the last few holes which were all into the wind.

Today we had 4 players, 4 caddies and a trainee caddy, so 9 people in our group. I found it quite a struggle to focus on my game today with what felt like crowds of people standing about on the green while you put. Definitely a lesson for me for tomorrow. Nevertheless, another great day and I really enjoyed the course. I played OK - drove well most of the time, but the putts that dropped yesterday didn't do today ! and I left at least 3 hanging on the edge without going in. I had a great birdie 3 on the 11th. Great drive, a good 5 wood into the wind left of the flag to the back of the green, about 12 feet, and the put of the day .. downhill, a little right to left .. and it dropped ! Also had a great par on the last into the wind - so enough to bring me back tomorrow.

Tomorrow we play the Old Course. I can't wait. I've been looking over it at breakfast and dinner and walking around it all week - so I'm really looking forward to getting out on it tomorrow. The forecast is OK. I'm out early and I think we'll get the best of the weather.

Another fantastic day on the St. Andrews links and terrific anticipation for tomorrow ..

Cheers for now,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment