Monday 20 April 2009

Sunny Scotland !



Well, the first day of the golf week is now over and what a day. I didn't know you could get sunshine like this in Scotland. I brought out lots of layers and ended up playing in short sleeves.

The morning started with a trip to the St. Andrews practise centre where we were shown lots of technology, everything from measuring weight transfer through the swing, to club customisation and a very technical putting analysis device. Very interesting and you'd wonder how any of us manage to hit a golf ball when we don't have all this stuff.

Then it was off to Kingsbarns. We had some time on the practise ground before the game and some advice from the pro's Ken and Ian on how to play links golf in the wind !

My fourball today was 2 French guys, a French lady and me ! and some Scottish caddies. The communication was interesting ! Kingsbarns was absolutely gorgeous today. It looked terrific in the sun and although there was quite a wind at times, I suspect we got the best of the conditions. It was relatively benign. Not that it did too much for my golf ! I played OK, but had problems on the greens and lost quite a few shots with 3 putts. Most of the fairways are quite wide with some wonderful pot bunkers ! I did OK with them. Got into 2, one greenside which I got out of well and one in the middle of the fairway. This one was very steep, so I had to come out sideways - no distance, but out ! Some of the greens are massive and a few have really big steps and a few levels. A great course and I really enjoyed it. It's a big course and it was a five and half hour round ! so a bit exhausting. We had Fish & Chips at the Kingsbarns clubhouse afterwards and then back to the hotel. A great day.

Tomorrow is a 4 ball scamble on the Eden Course at St. Andrews. I've met 2 of the team, a lovely couple from Boston, Bob and Susan, who definitely speak English ! Really looking forward to another great day tomorrow.

That's it for today,

Kate.

No comments:

Post a Comment